- home telephone number;
- date of birth;
- payment details (Direct Debit, credit/debit card number);
- property type;
- boiler details (make and model - only applicable to heating policies); and
- email address
(together, the "Information").
It is also intended to assist you in making informed decisions when using our website and our products and services. Please take a minute to read and understand the policy.
All your personal Information shall be held and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"). If you want to know what information we collect and hold about you, please write to us at:
HomeServe Membership Limited,
HomeServe Membership Limited is the data controller of your Information for the purposes of the Act.
What information do we collect?
When you visit our website you may provide us with two types of information:
- personal Information you provide to us on an individual basis during Registration, as described above. In addition, if you choose to correspond with us by email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses; and
- website use information collected as you and others browse our website.
We maintain the highest standards of security, encrypting your information using Secure Sockets Layer SSL, 128 bit encryption services, however even with this the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. So, whilst we will do our best to protect your information, we cannot ensure the security of your data transmitted to our website. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information we will use strict procedures and security features, storing your information on our secure servers to prevent unauthorised access.
Similar to other commercial websites, our website utilises a standard technology called "cookies" (see the explanation below, "What are cookies?") and web server logs to collect information about how our website is used. Information gathered through cookies and web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our website, and the websites visited just before and just after our website. We, our advertisers and ad serving companies may also use small pieces of code called "web beacons" or "clear gifts" to determine which advertisements and promotions users have seen and how users responded to them.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a very small text document, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier. When you visit a website, that site's computer asks your computer for permission to store this file in a part of your hard drive specifically designated for cookies. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites.
New cookie requirements
Further information on how to delete and control cookies on your computer is available from www.aboutcookies.org.
How do we use information we collect from cookies?
As you browse on our website, the website uses its cookies to differentiate you from other users in order to prevent you from seeing unnecessary advertisements or requiring you to log in more than is necessary for security. Cookies, in conjunction with our web server's log files, allow us to calculate the aggregate number of people visiting our website and which parts of the website are most popular. This helps us gather feedback in order to constantly improve our website and better serve our customers. Cookies do not allow us to gather any personal information about you and we do not generally store any personal information that you provided to us in your cookies.
How do we use the information that you provide to us?
We use your information in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer;
- to notify you about any changes to our service;
- for the purpose of administering your policy, training and statistical analysis, which may require us to pass your information to our group companies and/or to our service providers and parent group companies;
- in accordance with your authorisation as expressed via 'opt-ins' at the point of registration;
- if you have given your consent by 'opting in' at the point of registration, to contact you with information about products, services and special offers that you request from us, or that we feel may be of interest to you or to ask you to participate in one of our customer satisfaction surveys.
We may pass your information to other carefully selected third party organisations:
- if we buy or sell any business or assets in which case we may disclose your information to the seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements or protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- if you have opted in to receive information from carefully selected third parties, to use your information to contact you to provide you with information about other products, services and special offers which may be of interest to you.
How do we protect your information?
E-mail is not recognised as a secure medium of communication. For this reason, we request that you do not send private information to us by e-mail. Some of the information you may enter on our website may be transmitted securely via Secure Sockets Layer SSL, 128 bit encryption services. Pages utilising this technology will have URLs that start with HTTPS instead of HTTP. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
How can you access and correct your information?
You may request access to all your Information that we collect online and maintain in our database by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What about other websites linked to our website?
We are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our website nor the information or content contained therein. Often links to other websites are provided solely as pointers to information on topics that may be useful to the users of our website.
Where we store your personal data